Sunday, October 08, 2006

Moore

I'm intrigued by what I've read about Moore's Principia Ethica and the indefinability of the good.

[Tangent: do contractions render the passive voice less grating? Compare "I am intrigued by..." to "I'm intrigued by..." The former seems clunkier, while the latter, while still containing a fucking form of be, nevertheless seems superior because with one little apostrophe it looks we've disguised the nasty verb from the reader. Of course, the best form probably remains: "What I've read about Moore's Principia Ethica and the indefinability of the good intrigues me." Though the verb and noun are uncomfortably distant.

Or am I simply trying, abortively, to define the good right now?]

Case and point: I wasted today by watching Scrubs, Mickey Blue Eyes, spending an hour at the gym, A Fish Called Wanda, and I also spent a fair amount of time throwing stuff at Jay's head. Nonetheless, the fact that the day was good--despite my current insomnia--seems clear.

Though damned if I can say or need to say why.

No comments: