Thursday, November 16, 2006

Sonatine

I walked miles today, lugging a backpack and a heavy book. I swung by the tobacconist, picked up an edition of Ravel solo piano sheet music from the main library. There are some truly gorgeous pieces in here. I'm going to try the Pavane, and maybe the Sonatine later. Then took the metro back to campus in time to catch Jay before he got home so we could call a missing friend and leave him a voicemail of off-key singing, wishing him a happy birthday.

I'd like to smoke my pipe in the room I rent, but I don't know how to ask my lessor if I'm allowed without it being awkward.

Milton Friedman has passed away. I suppose with Nozick and Hayek, the last of the libertarian pedestals has now gone. I would have loved to have met the man. Few people I've never met have moved my life so.

We find these rough alliances, with conservatives who love values and liberals who love democracy--the fit is never comfortable, even if expedient. But Milton, he actually loved freedom. For better or worse.

You couldn't have done more with a life. Still.

I'll miss you.

No comments: