Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Perfect Fool

I've fallen in love with this ballet. Really the entire album.



The Sinfonia da Requiem is effective enough, if not the deepest piece, but the Peter Grimes Interludes and Passacaglia are masterful. The Perfect Fool is as fun as the Planets, if briefer, with the typical Holstian melody cobbled together with perfect fourths and irregular meter (the Spirits of Earth movement is, I'm reasonably sure, in 7/4). Both composers have got orchestration that's as clear and piercing as triangle, never a line lost or veiled.

I even remember when I bought this album. Jacob was visiting and we went to the Tower Records in Philadelphia, where the classical section was huge; Jacob asked some flaming clerk for recommendations.

Alas, I saw the husk of that Tower Records when I was in Philly two weeks ago.

DC is about two degrees Fahrenheit short of me becoming a nudist.

[9:08:19 PM] Jay Goodman Tamboli says:
20 more pages to outline. I've done 50 in the last hour. I'm going to get this done and then play some WoW.

[9:08:43 PM] Scott says: Yeah, I guess I should start another topic.

[9:09:15 PM] Jay Goodman Tamboli says:
Slow down, there. You only need to know enough to pass.

[9:09:57 PM] Scott says:
Incorporation is the opposite of corporation, right?

[9:11:42 PM] Jay Goodman Tamboli says: When I used to post on uiuc.test, whenever someone said anything I thought was funny enough to use as my signature line for a while, I‘d say “Booyakasha!”

[9:11:45 PM] Jay Goodman Tamboli says: Booyakasha!

___________________________________

[9:36:53 PM] Jay Goodman Tamboli says:
I found Mark's sperm: http://www.jwz.org/photos/2007-06-23-coneyisland/img_5513.html

[9:37:53 PM] Scott says:
The whale tail is a nice touch.

[9:38:09 PM] Jay Goodman Tamboli says:
I think it's really supposed to be a sperm whale. It was a sea-themed parade.

[9:38:41 PM] Scott says:
Send it to him if you haven't yet.

[9:39:12 PM] Jay Goodman Tamboli says:
I'll put it on his Facebook wall.

[9:39:33 PM] Scott says:
Please use the caption: I found your sperm.

[9:39:39 PM] Scott says:
I found your sperm in Coney Island.

[9:39:50 PM] Jay Goodman Tamboli says: Word for word, that's what I was thinking.

No comments: