Monday, July 09, 2007

Darfur

I woke up in a great mood this morning, and the only reason I could think of was a dream I had before waking.

Except it wasn't that great a dream, so that doesn't answer much.

In it, I had told a friend from high school that I would come visit him while he was in Darfur--my best friend in high school, who I haven't spoken to in a long while. I had to look up Darfur just now, since I had no idea what or where it is. In the dream, it was a country in Asia, south of Japan. I found it on a map in the dream--it was next to countries with names like Darkum, and Darlin, sticking out into the Pacific.

Anyway, something went wrong while I was flying over to Darfur and I ended up in Reykjavik. Reykjavik was great--the airport was this kind of Club Med resort, with lots of sunlight, green grass, picket fences, and attractive people walking around speaking what I assume was Icelandic. I wandered around for a while, but eventually I knew I'd have to get to Darfur or go home. So I found a ticket clerk who spoke English--it was bad English--and asked her how much a ticket to Darfur was. I expected it to be a lot since it was hell and gone from Reykjavik. Chances were I'd have to just go home--which was a bummer, since this was my only time off before the Bar.

Then the alarm woke me up. As I stumbled towards my clock, I mumbled: "I guess I'll never know if I made it to Darfur. Nice move, alarm clock." When I'm half-awake, I tend to anthropomorphize my alarm clock. These are all comments I've made:

"I'm coming! Shut up you bastard!"

"Touche, alarm clock, touche."

"And good morning to you, too."

2 comments:

Ragini said...

I wonder how Darfur would have appeared in your dream. If you have checked it out, Darfur in Sudan has been quite in the news in recent times for genocide and political disturbances.

Scott said...

I guarantee it would have been a fun, quirky place, since my mental images of everything African are derived from "The Gods Must Be Crazy" films.