Monday, August 27, 2007

Blogahol

I feel compelled to blog something about my life, such as it is. Some things have happened. Let's go in reverse order.

My belly is kind of squishy lately. I had begun jogging, 3 miles a trip. But then this kind of legendary heatwave blew through, the streets turned to magma, and running became impossible. I had planned to go this evening, but the metro I was on stalled out at Arlington Cemetery and I had to ask Jay to pick me up (Jay has graciously kept himself unemployed so that he can do stuff like this for me at a moment's notice). So I just got home.

Last night I had trouble sleeping, probably because I slept in the that morning, which is in turn because I had David and Paige (my brother and his oh-so-cute girlfriend) here for the weekend.

They got down Friday, we went to see Knocked Up at the ol' Cinema n' Drafthouse--which was hilarious. We planned a trip to the zoo Saturday, but there was a heat advisory in effect and Paige was chompin' at the bit to go to Nordstrom's, so we went shopping. Each excursion outside of the condo ended with us returning drenched in sweat and needing a little nap and rehydration. We thought of activities that took place in air-conditioned environments, and settled on another movie. Jay joined us for Death at a Funeral--though we missed the show we were aiming for and so went to the White House, Borders, and then a bar while waiting for the next one.

One of the funniest movies I've ever seen.

Then we came back, ended up--of course--drinking Pinot Grigio and watching Office episodes. They left Sunday morning, I spent the day reading my book (I'm on the second of the Baroque Cycle), until Hanah, whose husband is in the Ukraine, asked me to go see Hairspray (which was also good, giving the weekend a 3 for 3 record).

But that was this weekend. Earlier in that week, Jay turned some ridiculously high age that I can't even calculate without my abacus. I bought him (very very nice) cigar called an Anniversary, which led to this exchange at the tobacconist:

ME: I'd like this one.

CLERK: Anniversary?

ME: No! It's just my friend's birthday.

CLERK: Anniversary is the name of the cigar.

Though I enjoyed the one I bought, Jay got halfway through his and turned a pale green color and started to totter back and forth.

Now, let's go back like a week and a half before that or so, when I was taking the MPRE and while signing in, looked up to see Celine, who I hadn't seen since November, when she moved back to Paris. She was taking the test too--we went for coffee afterwards and ended up spending the whole weekend together. We talked over things, reminisced fondly, smoothed some spots that were left rough, and all in all left things in a lovely place. I bought her a Ravel CD and sent her back to Paris.

If I had recorded these things at the time they happened, I'd have much more to say. I didn't, and so I don't. But things have been nice, I'd say.

Alvy Singer: [narrating] After that it got pretty late, and we both had to go, but it was great seeing Annie again. I... I realized what a terrific person she was, and... and how much fun it was just knowing her; and I... I, I thought of that old joke, y'know, the, this... this guy goes to a psychiatrist and says, "Doc, uh, my brother's crazy; he thinks he's a chicken." And, uh, the doctor says, "Well, why don't you turn him in?" The guy says, "I would, but I need the eggs." Well, I guess that's pretty much now how I feel about relationships; y'know, they're totally irrational, and crazy, and absurd, and... but, uh, I guess we keep goin' through it because, uh, most of us... need the eggs.

2 comments:

Joshua Holmes said...

You're in DC? I thought you had moved to NYC.

BTW, Cinema 'n' Drafthouse is awesome. I used to live about a mile from it along Columbia Pike.

Actually, if you want to do something wild, drive to the corner of South Courthouse Road and Columbia Pike. It's about a mile from the Cinema 'n' Drafthouse, towards the Pentagon, at the top of a small but steep hill. Get out. Stand at the bus stop. Look towards the Pentagon.

I saw the plane hit the Pentagon on 9/11 from there.

Scott said...

Can't get to NY until I get me a NY job.

I love the C 'n' D.