Thursday, November 01, 2007

Turkey! Just in Time for Thanksgiving!

Jay's going to Turkey for a week or so to hold a camera in front of some talkshow host and also not get kidnapped and held hostage. Like most events in life, this calls for Scotch, so I bought some last night and we drank it. Of course, I clucked concernedly, weaving in caring questions such as, "Have you updated your will since you've met me?" between more crass comments indicating my complete ignorance of all places non-American. "How big is the camel you'll be riding?" Then it was off to Best Buy, to get some adaptors for Turkish outlets. Now, there is no such thing as an American-Turkish adaptor, but there are Franco-Turkish adaptors, and Spanish-Franco adaptors, and you can find an American-Spanish adaptor anywhere, so really you can build your own Turko-American adaptor with a little duct tape and imagination. Pretty pointless though, since I'm pretty sure they don't have electricity over there.

SCOTT: Jay you remember a while ago, we were discussing the doctrine of modal realism? I told you that Lewis was troubled by the idea that one of the basic axioms of his stance was that possible worlds have no interaction with one another, but nonetheless, we can easily imagine a world that can interact with other worlds. Now your response was quite simply that he should define "possible worlds" as only those worlds which can't interact with each other, otherwise he runs into all these Goedelian problems. I've been thinking about that, and my response is this: yes, we can define "possible" that way, but why should we? A world that interacts with other worlds is clearly possible, so just redefining "possible" strikes me as a dictionary dodge. I have nothing new to add to the discussion beyond that, but I've been wanting to say that for a while and the topic hasn't been coming up in conversation. So I just jumped in.

...

JAY: IP Law.

SCOTT: Yeah, well I bleed justice. Now if we could just find someone who craps the American Way, we'll be set.

...

SCOTT: If you die, I'm going to argue that we were common law married and try and get your will invalidated. Dozens of people will testify that we spend a suspicious amount of time together.

JAY: I'm tempted to fake my own death just so I can watch that.

...

[1:06:30 PM] Scott says: Exxon down.

[5:48:10 PM] Jay Goodman Tamboli says: Oh, no!

[5:51:38 PM] Scott says: At least they were at 1 PM when I called.

[5:52:23 PM] Jay Goodman Tamboli says: http://finance.google.com/finance?q=xom&hl=en

[5:53:45 PM] Scott says: I'm ruined!

[5:53:57 PM] Jay Goodman Tamboli says: You should diversify.

[5:54:13 PM] Scott says: I don't want to have to keep track of TWO stocks!

[5:54:51 PM] Jay Goodman Tamboli says: Makin' money ain't easy.

[5:55:07 PM] Scott says: Unless you're in the federal reserve.

[5:55:45 PM] Scott says: Damn it! I should have said something about your mom being on a corner.

[5:56:12 PM] Jay Goodman Tamboli says: L'espirit d'escalier burn!

[5:56:35 PM] Scott says: Le high-cinq!

[5:56:42 PM] Jay Goodman Tamboli says: lol

[5:56:52 PM] Scott says: When did we get so classy?

1 comment:

Roy said...

we should have given him an early christmas present,a sterling neck brace covered in pig skin