Wednesday, April 09, 2008

How to Be a White Knight on a Steed

When I was in college, I used to have a fearful work ethic. I went to bed at 11, got up at 6, took course overloads, got As, went to the gym, and practiced voice and piano daily. I don't know why I had this ambition. I don't remember where I lost it either. I do remember buying nasty ass protein bars made out of some rubbery blend of chocolate, peanut butter and plastic. You couldn't eat this alone--you had to bite, then take a swig of water and let it dissolve, then swallow before it gathered its strength and resolidified. I'd sit and chew on these in the practice rooms late at night while I worked on Bach inventions (and sometimes Monkees songs).

It's like eating mud.

Yet, for some reason, I've started to crave these again. I don't know why. I bought two today. I ate the first one--it was repulsive. It was loamy. Then I ate another. I did not enjoy a single bite. I desire more. Am I trying to ingest nostalgia? Is my body making a futile attempt at recapturing the diligence of years past?

Time for some more calculus. I've just started taking derivatives--still on the long way, i.e. lim as h veers for zero of the function of x plus h less the function of x all that junk over h. There's an easier way, but that would be cheating.

[10:12:51 PM] Jay Goodman Tamboli says: There was a great episode of the Penn Jillette show where they discussed this.

[10:12:56 PM] Jay Goodman Tamboli says:
Chimps will attack midgets.

[10:13:02 PM] Jay Goodman Tamboli says:
So they had to test this.

[10:13:11 PM] Jay Goodman Tamboli says:
They got a midget and a chimp to come to the same party.

[10:13:26 PM] Jay Goodman Tamboli says:
The chimp had no problems while the midget was sitting on a stool, 'cause I guess he looked tall.

[10:13:35 PM] Jay Goodman Tamboli says:
But they positioned him near a pool. JUST IN CASE.

[10:14:49 PM] Scott says:
Hahaha.

[10:14:54 PM] Scott says:
Heh.

[10:15:31 PM] Scott says:
But we need the midgets. They provide the clean burning energy the American economy needs.

No comments: