Saturday, June 07, 2008

I'm Enjoying the Volokhs' Rum

You know, since I gave blood three years ago or so, the Red Cross has called me twice a day. They want my blood so bad. They want it even though it's swimming with antidepressants and Bacardi Gold--hell, maybe that's why they want it. And yet, I haven't been back since.

I was thinking of a way they could incentivize me to return. Here's what I came up with. They should tell people who receive blood whose blood they're getting. Now of course, this should be an opt-in program: I can choose whether or not I want recipients of my blood to be able to find out who donated for them. If I do choose so, the recipient gets my name and address. Maybe they'll mail me a Thank You card, and I, seeing the concrete productions of my charity, will be encouraged.

Or perhaps they can just tell me what happens with my blood. They don't need to give me a name--they can redact all the details they need to. I'd just like some idea of what my blood's being used for. I think most people would. I think seeing one's blood in action would give a lot of incentive for donation.

This is on my mind because I'm giving blood tomorrow. I'm not a good person (do I really have to stress that?). I just like cookies and free T-shirts.

1 comment:

Micha Ghertner said...

The problem: what if the vast majority of the blood they collect goes to waste before they can use it? It's important for hospitals to have fresh blood on hand (mmm....fresh blood) in case of emergency, but how much of it actually gets used?

I used to donate to Red Cross at college, but I eventually decided to never deal with them again. They were so poorly organized, inefficient, and slow, that despite signing up to give blood in advance, they made us wait for hours in line. And they wouldn't let me leave the line to go grab some lunch, even though I hadn't eaten yet and didn't want to give blood on an empty stomach.

I'm a generous person, but only up to a certain point. Red Cross lost my trust.