Wednesday, November 04, 2009

British

Yesterday I was on site interviewing a client, five hours, for some such stuff we need, and for the second time I was accused of having a British accent. Where are you from? said he. South Jersey, said I. Whoa, I was way off, he said. Was guessing London.

As I've never been to England, nor do I know anyone British (and if I did I certainly wouldn't talk to them), I wonder where this mysterious flavor came from. Was it a certain fascination with phonology that led me to slavishly try and pronounce every letter? Is it osmosis through constant rewatching of The Office, Rome, Extras, and I, Claudius? Is it because, one day, seven years ago, I decided I was going to pronounce "why" as "hwy" just because I preferred the sound of it and also, it seemed useful to be able to distinguish between "whale" and "wail?" (To date, no one has asked me whether I meant 'whale' or 'wail.' But nor had they done it before the change.) Or am I subconsciously affecting snobbishness? But I also say "y'all." So I have no clue.

To you reading this, so many thousands of years in the future, remember, these are the issues people of our time spent their hours pondering. Also, some of us read whiny books about vampiric teenagers. And remember, if you've perfected time travel, send me something only people in the future could know, like the date of the next solar eclipse, so I can convince the current populace I'm a wizard.

1 comment:

Joshua Holmes said...

Heh. When I went to Penn, people thought I was from the South. I got a lot of Tennessee, Kentucky, and Alabama guesses. I was pretty shocked by it, but not nearly as shocked as everyone else when I told them I lived 45 minutes from campus.