Wednesday, June 05, 2024

Krono Kross

Need to get this off my chest.

When I was tennish, I was in the car with my dad, doing what I always did in the car: fooling with the radio. (We may be listening to a good song at the moment, but what if there's a great song on another station? Let's make sure.) 

All the sudden, the static cleared and began the pinnacle of 80s yacht rock: Sailing. And I was happy cause that was just my speed.

My dad turned to me, sagely nodded, and said, "Kris Kross." The we were silent, as those dreamy arpeggios took us to paradise, which wasn't far.

Now, let's go back in history: Kris Kross was a(n) American pre-teen hip hop duo, consisting of Chris "Mac Daddy" Kelly and Chris "Daddy Mac" Smith, best known for their smash hit Jump in 1992. Which, when I was tennish, was rocking the middle school non-stop.

So I had two distinct and thunderous thoughts when my dad told me they were also responsible for the pinnacle of 80s yacht rock, Sailing.

One. My dad is hip! He knows who Kris Kross is, and apparently their catalog, and he can recognize it from a few seconds of airplay.

And two.

Damn! Kris Kross got range! Sailing is a very different song from their 1992 smash hit, Jump. Also, how long have they been around? I thought they were my age.

And for years, I accepted this. What're the chances there would be two musical acts with the exact same name?

So, in sum, there are times in my life I wish I had ventured a follow-up question.

No comments: