I keep thinking about the ending of the second season of Beef, how one character alone breaks out of the capitalist system of exchange and performs an act of pure love, expecting and receiving nothing for it. It’s angelic in the moment and yet the entire system makes it a rare thing that it seemingly takes a catastrophe to make possible.
It makes me reflect on all my interactions, and how many of them have, at root, some selfish motive. Small or large, depending on the transaction, but it’s there, and it’s automatic, and it takes a conscious will to stop and recognize and root it out. Assuming you should root it out—I think you should if you can. To aspire to care about a person without any expectation of tit for tat.
Anyway, I thought the show was a masterpiece. Depressing and inspiring at once.
Saturday, August 29, 2026
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment